Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Egg & Honey No-Poo


















Okay I know this is not to eat but still it's a recipe. After years of scratching my scalp and my eyes until they are sore and having to wash my hair everyday because if I don' t it is a stringy mess I had to find something, commercial including so called natural shampoos had detergent, chemicals, drying alcohol, silicons just did not work for me.

I've experimented with washing with conditioner, still a stringy mess. Baking soda and water the itch feels relieved as soon as it is washed but my hair was brittle and stiff, it got worse the longer I used it, it seem not to rinse away completely.  Then I tried just water, well better than conditioner or Baking soda, but my hair did not smell as fresh as I wanted.

Well next I tried egg. Ooow I like. So next time I added 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, it was about the same but lemon is an astringent so I put it in anyway. the only thing I didn't like was that it was to watery, hard to keep on your head to massage it in more. Well honey is good for the skin, your scalp is skin right, so in it goes. Still not viscose enough so I put in a 1/4 of xanthan Gum and whisked it in. Tried that today. Almost perfect it did not run into my eyes and it was thick enough to give me the feeling of a shampoo or conditioner as I worked in.

So I have been using egg, along with the additions as I go along for 1 month now and I am very happy with the results. I fill up the tub climb in, rub it in to dry or wet hair and relax and let it sit for at least 5 minutes until the water is cool enough not to cook the egg, then I rinse it out and soak my body for a while more. My skin really like the extra goodies in the water it made my skin so soft.

I towel dry my hair, comb and fluff with my fingers and let it dry. It is soft, manageable and it does not get stringy or look like it needs a wash for 4 to 6 days (depending on my acvtivity level). What I love the most is my scalp and eyes no longer itch (at least not from washing my hair)

The next issue I get asked the most is, doesn't it egg make your hair smell. No it doesn't, not when washing it, not after and not even after 6 days; the egg is rinsed out with your dirt and oils.

Okay enough here is the recipe I use:

1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice (bottled is fine)
3 tablespoons liquid honey


whisk together.

Recipe can be doubled or tripled for longer or fuller hair. (my hair is short and fine)

Next I'm going to try rinsing it with Earl Grey Tea, I love the smell of Bergamont. Tannins are suppose to be really good for your hair also. If you have blond hair you might want to use a green tea variety as black tea can darken your hair











No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments